EDU:Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship for ST Students
This is a Central Scheme to providing fellowship to Scheduled Tribe students for pursuing higher studies such as M.Phil and Ph.D. The scheme was introduced in the year 2005-06.
- UGC is a nodal agency for implementation of the Scheme.
- It supports ST students in their higher studies such as M.Phil and Ph.D in all the Universities/Institutions recognized by the UGC.
- The fellowship is on the pattern of UGC fellowship awarded to regular full time research students in M.Phil and Ph.D courses.
- The total number of fresh fellowships each year is 667.
- In case, number of candidates exceed number of awards, UGC select the candidates based on percentage of marks obtained by the candidates in Post Graduation examination.
- The distribution of fellowships amongst different States/UTs would primarily be in the proportion of ST population in the respective States/UTs.
- UGC may divert slots from a particular State if eligible candidate are not available in that States.
- Scholarship amount is disbursed to the candidates by the UGC through Bank Smart Cards.
- Amount of Scholarship covers fellowships, contingency expenses, expenses for departmental assistance, escorts/reader assistance for disable candidates and HRA on UGC pattern.
- 100% funding is provided by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs on the basis of the norms.
- Average cost of fellowship is Rs. 2.16 lakh for Junior Research Fellow (JRF) and Rs. 2.40 lakh Senior Research Fellow (SRF).
- A Scheduled Tribe candidate should have passed Post Graduation examination and the requirement of 50% marks at post graduation level will not be insisted by UGC.
- The student should get admission and registration for regular full time M.Phil/Ph.D degree courses in University/Academic Institutions as per the prescribed norms and advertisement of UGC.
- If the number of the ST students exceeds the number of available awards UGC selects the candidates based on percentage of marks in the Post Graduate examination.
- The maximum duration for which the scholarships are available is given below:
a. M.Phil - 2 years (JRF)
b. Ph.D - 2 years (JRF) and 3 years (SRF)
c. M.Phil + Ph.D – 2 years (JRF) and 3 years (SRF)
- Fellowship for JRF is provided @ Rs. 16000/- per month and for SRF @ Rs. 18000/- per month.
- Contingency for Fellows in Humanities and Social Science is provided @ Rs. 10000/- per annum for two year and Rs. 20500/- per annum for the rest of the period.
- Contingency for Fellows in Science is provided @ Rs. 12000/- per annum for two years and @ 25000/- per annum for the rest of the period.
- Departmental assistance @ Rs. 3000/- per annum is provided to the host institution.
- Escorts/Reader assistance @ Rs. 2000/- per month is provided in case of physically and visually handicapped candidates.
- HRA on the UGC pattern.
PROGRESS OF THE SCHEME:
Under the Scheme, during the 11th Five Year Plan period (2007-08 to 2011-12), an amount of Rs. 232.64 crore was released. During the financial year 2012-13, the BE is Rs. 90.00 crore, out of this, an amount of Rs. 45.00 crore has been released till date.