The objective of the scheme is to provide residential schools for Scheduled Tribes including PTGs in an environment conducive to learning to increase the literacy rate among the tribal students and to bring them at par with other population of the country. The scheme is in operation since 1990-91 and has been revised w.e.f. the financial year 2008-09.
- This is a Centrally sponsored scheme and is operational in the Tribal sub-Plan States/UT Administrations.
- The scheme covers primary, middle, secondary and senior secondary level of education.
- Under the revised scheme, State Governments are eligible for 100% funding for establishment of Ashram Schools (i.e. school buildings, hostels, kitchen and staff quarters) for girls in TSP areas and also for construction of Boys’ Ashram Schools in TSP areas in naxal affected areas (identified by Ministry of Home Affairs from time to time).
- The funding pattern for the other Boys’ ashram Schools is on 50:50 basis, while cent percent assistance is given to UTs for construction of both Girls’ and Boys’ Ashram Schools.
- Financial assistance on 50:50 basis is given for other non-recurring items of expenditure i.e. purchase of equipment, furniture and furnishing, purchase of few sets of books for a small library for use of inmates of the hostels etc.
- The ST boys and girls can study in residential schools in an environment conducive to learning.